Wednesday, April 20, 2011


Has it really been 10 days since my last post? I guess I have been busier than I thought. I haven't actually worked on the Lily in quite some time. I had some swaps to tend to. In fact I received back a quarter scale swap the other day and I thought I would share what I received.

Like the last swap I posted, this too was a furniture swap. It was a great swap !!!

This lovely slipper chair was made by Jene B and the desk was made by Fern R

The first bed was made by Cindy McD and the second by Tamara Z

This great chair was made by Kathy G and the couch was made by me.

The fantastic Modern chest and rug were made by Pat H and the chair by Ginger A

It was really a great swap....very talented people in that group. Glad to be there.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Been Busy

Hi world.....haven't been around much this last week.....Just haven't been working on the house and had a lot of stuff going on. I had swaps to work on and I also had a virus on my computer. Everything is good now and I plan to do a lot of work on the house this week. I did go to Scrapfest which is a big scrapbooking event and found a couple of things that I can use for miniatures. Some very nice picture frames and some really tiny rick rack trim. Oh, and my friend Lori (who gave me all that great fabric), gave me the tiniest eyelets to use for 1/4 scale scene flower pots or something of that sort. My quarter scale club had an auction last night which was a lot of fun. I won a couple of items that I am sure will come in handy in a future scene. Looking forward to getting some work done on the Lily this week.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Today..... Sand and Paint day.....I sand the wood, and paint it.....once dry I sand it again, and paint again......argh......but I did come up with a great way to dry the pieces. I took an old dish drying rack that we don't use and I place the wet items on it to dry. It's working out wonderfully.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Why I don't like Greenleaf

I always said I would not purchase a house made by Greenleaf. The main reason is that they use very shabby wood. It's just not good quality, but I really liked the Lily, and bought it fully expecting bad wood. However, with one of the interior window trims it was just not workable. Here you can see two pictures of how bad the wood was.

The wood was literally crumbling as I tried to sand it, and the middle core of the wood was crumbling too....I had to make a decision on what to do about this piece of wood. I decided that it was a lot less stress to just recreate the piece with some basswood strips that I have.

First I used my mitre box to mitre the corners of the wood.

Next step was the glue the pieces together. I used my jig to make sure that the pieces stayed square. This particular window frame was for a double window, so I had to also glue in a middle piece of wood, so I used the window sashes in the frame to help me know exactly where to glue the middle strip. Here's the final result. Looks much nicer than what Greenleaf provided.

Walls are up

In my last post I mentioned that I got the rest of the interior walls up. The kitchen is walled in and so is the bathroom. Here you can see the Kitchen glued and taped to dry. And here the kitchen is with the wallpaper up. I really like how it turned out. It was a little awkward to paper because of the back of the stairs sticking into the room but I am impressed with how well it went together.....I usually make a mess of tricky stuff like that. The walls for the bathroom are up and I wallpapered the other side of the walls (the bedroom) before I installed the walls. It was a mistake because I made a large boo boo with the wallpaper as you can see in the second picture below. I'm going to put some corner moulding on that edge to make it look nicer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...