I've been working on my Vermont Farmhouse Jr (which will be referred to as the VFJ for the rest of this post) for 5 years now, and I just can't seem to finish it. I love the way it looks on the outside.....but the inside has been bothering me for some time. Here are stock pictures of the exterior and interior.
See, the outside is very nice, but the inside is so boxy. There are no hallways, the stairs only lead to the second floor. The attic has three rooms but they are not full rooms and there are no doors. All things that really do bother me. How am I, (If I were living in this house) suppose to get to the top floor/attic?? I want my houses to have a bit of realism. This is not real to me. This was great as a beginner house, but I think I need something more.
Then a couple of years ago my husband (before he was my husband) got me a lovely house called the Acorn made by the Little Dollhouse Company. Much like the VFJ made by Real Good Toys, this house is a very well made sturdy house......but......again, like my VFJ lacks realism.
I like that it has a hall/foyer from the front door, but it goes all down hill from there. There are no stairs at all in this house.....so the top floor is useless. The rooms on the first floor are a great size, and I love that, but the top floor/attic is horrible. The roof is so low that there is not much usable space up there. So like my first house. This house remains unfinished.
After much thought and lots of research I decided it was time for a move. I need a house that has everything that I am looking for. A nice foyer, stairs throughout the whole house. Great size rooms and no half attic rooms. Rooms that actually have walls and doors. Is that really too much to ask ?? Finding a dollhouse with all these characteristics on an tiny budget is not that easy. I however, don't give up easily......and days of online searching I found the mini house of my dreams....for now anyway. The Lily by Greenleaf.
While the house layout is a dream for me, the wood used in construction, NOT SO MUCH. I think I got splinters just looking at the 17 sheets of raw crappy wood. Not looking forward to all the sanding that I am going to have to do. I'm hoping that the finished product will make it all worth it.
So far, I've opened the box, checked that all the sheets were there, and closed the box. It's very overwhelming. Anyone who has built a dollhouse can vouch for that, but when it's a Greenleaf house.....the stress level rises.....that being said, I go into this knowing full well that the wood is crap, that it's going to take a lot of love and work to make it look as nice as it does on the box. I will suffer many injuries in the way of splinters and I just need to keep in mind that I knew what I was getting myself into.
Construction starts sometime this weekend.....can't wait to see how it goes. Stay tuned !