Sunday, March 13, 2011


Well, today I decided to tackle the job of putting the stairs together. There are two sets of stairs in the house, from the first floor to the second floor and the second floor to the third floor. Seems simple enough, BUT...I have been doing some reading online and have read many horror stories about the stairs. Knowing that I can't really proceed until the stairs are in, I can't put it off.....I tried stalling. Noticed there were some gaps here and there and decided to do some spackling. I love the spackle that I have. It's called DryDex and it goes on pink. Then when it's white, it's ready for sanding and painting. I mostly love it because it's pink.........

.........anyway, the stairs. So I started punching out the pieces for the stairs, and of course they are not all on the same sheet.....they are all over the place. I felt like I was on a treasure hunt, I've never been so excited to find a piece of wood, but honestly it's like an Easter egg hunt. Did I mention before how horrible the wood is....well actually most of the wood for the stairs was in good shape, except the risers. They were bad. Here you can see how splintery it is.

Putting the stairs together is time consuming and you have to try to keep it square while doing it. While it was drying I placed it in the house where it should sit. I figure that ought to keep it square enough.

After lots of sanding and gluing and taping and waiting, the first set of stairs are done. This literally took me hours....and it was not even a fraction of how bad I thought it was going to be.

My plan was to start on the second set, but as I was punching out a riser, a splinter of wood hit me in the eye. That kinda killed the mood......until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...